Thursday 14 October 2010

White magic vs Black magic

I think the most interesting point from my section is what black magic is seen as from different point of views etc. - Looking at it in more detail.

It states in the Faustus notes that “Black magic also used nature but included the invocation of demons. This was the magic that Dr. Faustus used in Marlowe’s great work. Black magic, or witchcraft, implied the use of supernatural powers for a wicked purpose.”

In more detail black magic is the belief of practices of magic that draws on assumed malevolent powers. This type of magic is summoned when wishing to kill, steal, injure, cause misfortune or destruction, or for a personal gain without regard to harmful consequences to others.

‘black magic’ the term is usually used by those who do not approve of its uses.

Some argue that ‘black magic’ doesn’t necessarily have malevolent intentions all the time, as some consider it to have beneficial aspects, (For example killing deceases or pests.)

In fiction black magic quite frequently will be identified with evil, such as J.K.Rowling’s Harry Potter, which reference to the ‘study of the dark arts’ etc.

3 comments:

  1. I like the point that what people call "black magic" could be used to do good- so really it might not be deemed as "black" magic at all, but good magic. yeaaaahhh intresting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm...I'm not exactly sure what to say, I mean its not like I can argue with facts is it. I do however agree with the idea of black magic being related to evil, and I like the mention of Harry Potter; it reminded me of them potter puppet and pals video. :)
    Splendid blog Hannah!

    ReplyDelete

Followers